Monday, August 01, 2005

SI is so boring...there's nothing to do here!

Sad, isn't it? the sorry state of cultural affairs on SI?...
Well, kiddies...it wasn't always like this....
Just to recap:
back in the 70's (when i was just a wee sprite...) they used to have national acts play at the Ritz Theater in Port Richmond. Alice Cooper, Mountain, Black Sabbath, Yes, Capt. Beefheart, MC5, King Crimson, The Kinks, Fleetwood Mac, Deep Purple, ...even Vanilla Fudge! I was too ingnorant of a lot of those bands and only got to see the 1st four on that list....but isn't it amazing? I also remember (vaguely) whenever there was a concert, the streets absolutely packed like Greenwich Village, stores open past midnight, everyone partying...incredible.
In the eighties, there were at least 4 clubs to play at and most of the acts played original music. I know, because I played at every one of 'em...Red Spot, Park Villa, Billy O's (AKA:Octobers/Rock Palace), Wave St., The Intimate Lounge, and Neri's come to mind immediately. There was not only a thriving scene, but plenty of places to play for local "basement/garage bands"!
I think what we REALLY need is a genuine rock club. You know with a real PA and real lights, and a real stage, etc. The last place like this closed 2 years ago (Backstage/Roadhouse Blues)...and there's been no replacement.
Possible hope? (this could go either way if true)---Rumor has it that the original owners of Lamour's in brooklyn are gonna start a big club on SI.....possibly at what used to be "club drink"....we'll see....stay tuned.

update: this question (& my answer) was originally posted on the Cinema Treasures site.

ed , i don't doubt that it became a concert venue, but weren't most of these bands/performers at the height of their popularity at that time? why would they book concerts on staten island?......
posted by garth on Aug 1, 2005 at 5:30pm

I thought so too at the time... but this was a period right before these bands played arenas like MSG & Nassau Coliseum. I remember the Yes LP "Fragile" had just been released, and Sabbath's 2nd LP, "Paranoid" was new at the time of their tour stop in SI. Most of these bands also played at the academy of music (AKA: the paladium on 14th st.)in manhattan. The Ritz concerts did not last to due "contract riders" put into place in the early seventies by NYC concert promoters. They insisted that the musicians performing at their place could not book additional shows within a 50 mile radius of the venue nor within a month surrrounding the show. This essentially killed the bookings for national recording acts at the Ritz Theater. During that time it was run by a pair called "The Ungano brothers", whom had previous success with a manhattan club bearing their name. Interestingly, I never seen a movie at the Ritz, only concerts!
posted by edroogie on Aug 4, 2005 at 3:14pm

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember a friend inviting me out to go see Kansas when they played on SI (I passed, after Dust in the Wind I wasn't interested). I caught the last few years of Bay Street in the late 80's/early 90's when one of us finally passed the road test and had access to a car (nothing like cruising Bay St. in your friend's mom's Oldsmobile!). That was a lot of fun. Glad it was still around when I was in HS. I remember when Cargo was the new bar and seemed kind of far from all the action so we hardly went.
As far as music goes, I read this one on SI Live yesterday. It sounds promising:

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001000619

8/02/2005 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put you capezios on and head to bay street.That was every weekend. It was a thriving scene. 590 was one of the earlier places. JD's that wierd place with the ceiling of pin lights.

8/02/2005 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you been following this "Across the Pond" concert being planned for Oct. 1 & 2 at the ballpark? Sounds interesting if you're into that kind of music. I am but expect to be out of town that weekend. sigh

8/05/2005 10:23 AM  
Blogger edroogie said...

yes, the pixies, beck and oasis on SI! let's hope it happens!

8/05/2005 4:57 PM  
Blogger Suki said...

I do NOT think Staten Island needs a major rock n' roll venue. That is really what Manhattan is for, and I am not one of those Exo-hattanites who thinks every place should be a new "Village." What DOES need to happen is that interesting people have to care about Staten Island enough to stay on SI, spend their $$ in SI, and make their opinions known--start bringing around tapes of their favorite local bands, talk to bar tenders about their own video nites, etc. In other words, we have to start taking back our Island, and making it its own "place to be."

8/09/2005 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A major venue on SI would still be welcoming for local bands. There aren't that many places for them to play. The RedSpot used to have quite a few local bands...sometimes 3 or 4 of them in a night. I bet there are Manhattan bands that can't find a stage to play on in Manhattan that would be happy to make the trip on the ferry to play over here.

Manhattan vs. SI--there's no contest. On SI at least they have a chance to play at a venue.

8/09/2005 2:37 PM  
Blogger edroogie said...

yes, I doubt we will ever see major acts like at the ols ritz and later at the st.george and paramount (seen the plasmatics there!), but the redspot was great as a mid-sized venue. In addition to all the local bands that played, They did get manhattan bands & indy recording acts in there, I remember seeing a few.
That's what I think the island needs again...

8/17/2005 1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope george and mike from lamours open up a club on S.I
I had a great time playing at lamours I was a singer for a band called cities(remember us)
any way it's a great way for new bands to work out their stuff theres nothing like playing on a big stage.We played lamours with acts such as (metalica,anthrax,Anvil,joe perry project,etc)
wow,that was almost 20years ago.
We need a new music scene something underground that will start up a hole new club scene.
good luck to the new and young rock groups

9/21/2005 7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ronnie Angell said...

I hope george and mike from lamours open up a club on S.I
I had a great time playing at lamours I was a singer for a band called cities(remember us)
any way it's a great way for new bands to work out their stuff theres nothing like playing on a big stage.We played lamours with acts such as (metalica,anthrax,Anvil,joe perry project,etc)
wow,that was almost 20years ago.
We need a new music scene something underground that will start up a hole new club scene.
good luck to the new and young rock groups

9/21/2005 7:45 AM

Hey Roland, what ever happened to the guitar player you had before Steve M.

10/01/2005 4:16 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Nothing like jumping on this bandwagon years late but ... so what?

I recall the Ritz very well. Even before it featured concerts and was a movie theater!
Performers I saw there included Vanilla Fudge, Lee Michaels, Chambers Brothers, BB King (will always remain my favorite concert), and I think I went to see Mountain there too but might be confused with a place in Newark I saw them at too.
I also "ventured out" to Tottenville where they had a 'name brand club' for a short time. Saw Grass Roots there - and I believe Gary Puckett.

Lovin' the memories.Thanks.

8/13/2007 7:35 AM  
Anonymous Marc said...

I played the Ritz twice with my Pig Light Show before I started at The Fillmore East. It bugs me I can't remember the headliners at those two shows I did, but The James Gang were the opening act for one of the shows. It was very cool.

4/11/2009 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home