Thursday, August 11, 2005

originality in Hollywood

scanning a recent issue of the hollywood reporter (know thy enemy...) I hadda notice a slew of either remakes, sequels, or adaptations. I am not sure some of these should be made, but I AM sure that originality and creativity today seems to have gone by the wayside for the most part. Dig this:
Sequels:
RoadHouse 3
I know what you did last summer 3
Hollow Man 2
Rush Hour 3
Basic Instinct 2
Big Momma's House 2
Pirates of the Carribean 2
Mission: Impossible 3
X-men 3
Fast & Furious 3
The Santa Clause 3
Spider-Man 3

Remakes:
The Transformers movie
King Kong
Logan's Run
Miami Vice
Superman Returns
The Hills have Eyes (sacrilege!)
Secret life of Walter Mitty

and my most questionable remake (like, why is being done?).....
"Mr. Blandings builds his dreamhouse"...... (starring Ice Cube. I swear, it's true.)

ummm....wasn't that Honeymooners remake a lesson?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot "Black to School" with Cedric the Entertainer. Also heard about about a remake of "The Warriors" with an MTV cast (like Usher).

Logan's Run remains one of my favorite movies - I remember watching it as a little kid on Channel 5 when they used to run movies on Saturday and Sunday afternoons -- this one seemed to be in heavy rotation. Those movies on channel 5 and 11 (Creature Featurer - lots of Hammer Films) probably shaped my taste in movies today. There was no cable on SI back in the day so it was that or nothing. I also remember wacthing the very creepy "Alice, Sweet Alice" as a little kid -- very un-kid friendly.

8/11/2005 10:56 AM  
Blogger Suki said...

I am looking forward to King Kong (Jack Black! Yay!) Spider-man 3 and Superman (my gawd, they've been talking about that since I worked @ Marvel 15 years ago).

As to a lack of creativity in Hollywood, everything has become such a great gamble (millions and millions spent on each movie) the studios are afraid to take a chance on something new...and at $10/per person, so is the movie-going public. I read somewhere that Hollywood is making less and less per pic.

The whole Hollywood thing is going to crash soon. Everything after will be filmed digitally, and direct to video.

8/11/2005 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home